Summer reading craft kits for all ages will be available for pick up every Monday for the six weeks of summer reading (June 15-July 26). You can pick up craft kits for kids, teens and adults in the Main Library parking lot between 10:30-12:30 and 3:30-5:30 every Monday, while supplies last.
You can complete the crafts on your own or, if you like, craft along with us during our Facebook Live events. Our weekly Facebook Live schedule is:
Children: 2:00 Tuesdays
Adults: 2:00 Wednesdays
Teens: 2:00 Thursdays
Stop by the Main Library this Friday, June 12 from 9am-12pm for a book giveaway! We will be set up outside and you can browse Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) books for teens and adults and take some home.
The library will begin providing curbside pickup service beginning May 26.
Main Library Drive-Through Hours:
- Monday-Friday 10am-6pm
- Saturday 9am-1pm
Branch Library Curbside Hours (Call 309-745-3023 when you arrive to pickup):
- Tuesday 4-8pm
- Friday 9am-1pm
What You Need to Know:
- You can place your holds through our online catalog anytime or call us during open hours.
- The drop boxes at the Main and Branch libraries are now open for materials return.
- The due date for all items checked out before March 18th is July 1st.
- Only items owned by Washington District Library can be placed on hold.
- We will call or email you when your hold is available.
- Returned items will have to be quarantined for seven days once they are returned. This means items will remain checked out on your account for seven days after you return them. You will not incur any late fines due to the quarantine period.
- Please return your items to Main Library or the Sunnyland Branch library. Otherwise they will not be returned to us until interlibrary loan service resumes.
Effective 6PM on Monday, March 16, 2020, Washington District Library will be closed to the public.
The drive-up window only at the Main Library will be open from 9AM to 12PM on Tuesday, March 17, and we encourage patrons to pick up any holds on that day. While WDL’s first priority is service to our public, we feel it would be irresponsible to put vulnerable community members at risk by remaining open. We will take advice from public health officials and state library organizations to determine a date to reopen.
The library buildings, drive-up window, and bookdrops will be closed during this time. We ask all patrons to please keep any materials they currently have checked out. Due dates for all current checkouts will be extended until June 1. All programs and meetings at the library will be suspended during the closure.
WDL will be closed until further notice. We will update the public on changes as they arise via our website, www.washingtondl.org, and our social media pages. Access to electronic resources will be available through our website. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our staff and Board of Trustees appreciate your patience and understanding during these unprecedented times.
If you live in the boundaries of the Washington library district and do not currently have a library card, you can apply for a temporary digital library card. This will enable you to access our ebooks and other digital resources while the library is closed. Read more and apply here.
It is time for the 2020 Census
From March 12-20, homes will receive an official Invitation to Respond from the US Census Bureau. You can respond online, by phone, or by mail. Guides for how to respond via each of these methods can be found on the US Census site. If you wish to respond online and you do not have home internet access, you can respond at a library computer. You are not required to have a library card to use our computers.
Why is the census important?
- The federal government uses census data to determine where money is sent. These are funds that are used for road repair, schools, libraries, health clinics and other services. For every person not counted in the census, the state of Illinois loses approximately $15,000 in funding.
- Census results determine how many seats in Congress each state gets.
- Everyone living in the United States is required by law to be counted in the census.
For more information on the census, visit 2020census.gov.
Cabin Fever, our adult winter reading challenge, has started!
Sign up at our Main or Sunnyland Branch locations to be eligible for weekly drawings. Turn in your completed bingo cards by March 15th to be entered for our grand prize and blackout bingo drawings!
Grand Prize is a Book Lover’s Basket.
Blackout Prize is a Cabin Fever Survival Basket.
The RSAcat Mobile app makes it easy to access the library from anywhere. You can digitally browse the library’s collection, see details about items, make your selection and place a hold for later pickup, renew items you have checked out, and pay outstanding fines in your account. The app’s location finder lets you find the location and operating hours of public libraries around you. The comprehensive account management includes the ability to link other library cards to easily manage multiple accounts from one app.
To download the new app search for RSAcat Mobile in your app store or click the link to your app store below.
My Account Major Features:
- View your checkouts, renew them if they have available renewals
- View your current holds, modify the pickup library, set hold suspension dates or cancel one or more holds
- View and pay your fines online inside the app
- Add Linked Accounts to add additional cards to your app. Linked cards include all My Account features listed above
Searching and Holds Features:
- Use the search box on the homepage to perform searches
- Search results are limited to your home library by default if you are logged in
- If you are not logged in, search results display for all 190+ RSAcat libraries
- Filter your results using the 3 options at the bottom of the results page – Limit To: changes the search library, Format: allows you to limit to books, movies, music and more, Collection: allows you to select an eBook provider
- Touch any title to see more information about it or place a hold
- Nearest Libraries: allows you to find other public libraries in the area, see their hours, location, contact information, and the library’s website
- Scan ISBN Barcode: scan the barcode of a book with your device’s camera to see if it’s available in an RSAcat library
- My Barcode: if you are logged in, it shows your library card number and barcode and any linked cards you have added to your app. Note: the barcode displayed may not scan in the library
The new RSAcat Mobile app replaces our old mobile app BookMyne which is no longer being developed.
We have plenty of ways to celebrate the holiday season coming up this month!
December 9th: Cricut Christmas Cards – ages 8-12.
December 10th: Santa Storytime and Songs – all ages.
December 11th: Craftstravaganza!: Holiday Gift Edition – ages 18+; registration required.
December 12th: Teen Holiday Party – grades 6-12.
December 14th: Drop-In Gift Wrapping.
December 18th: People’s Choice Holiday Movie.
December 20th: Teen/Tween Afternoon Holiday Movie – ages 9-18.
December 23rd: Ornament Extravaganza – ages 3+; registration required.
Both the Main Library and Sunnyland Branch will be closed December 24th and 25th. They will close at 1:00 PM on December 31st and all day January 1st.
The Main and Branch libraries will be closed Thursday, November 28th and Friday, November 29th for Thanksgiving. We will reopen with our regular hours Saturday, November 30th. We wish everyone in our community a happy holiday!